Monday, April 15, 2013

Praise Dance Choreography Tips

TAKE CLASS OFTEN AND MUCHThe natural tendency is to think,
Well, I am doing praise dance, so I need to take a praise dance class or attend a conference.

By all means yes! But please do not stop there. What about taking ballet to learn grace in carrying your arms and creating lines?  Or, a modern dance technique that will challenge you to find the breath and fluidity in your movement.  I say try and take all the dance classes you can and do so consistently.

The more I experience dance and its various forms, the more I begin to understand how I can more clearly "speak" through movement.  The more I enhance my movement vocabulary, the more articulate and creative my choreography becomes. 

Think for a moment to Alvin Ailey's Revelations.  What draws us in as an audience is not the song, for many of us did not grow up singing the spiritual.  What moves us is not the heart of the dancer because, quite frankly, some may not even be Christian.  What touches us to the very core is the intent of the dancers and the very passionate and creative way such a piece was choreographed.  We "wade in the water" with the dancers as Alvin Ailey's choreography whisks us magically to a spiritual moment in the back woods, that though we may have never directly experienced ourselves reminds and reinforces to us what we know is real in our hearts.
Research Info:

http://errinministries.blogspot.com/2012/09/praise-dance-choreography-tip-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment